It was far too windy and cold to be at the park. But no matter, it had been decided some two hours ago that we were going. Evelyn also wanted to bring her basketball. Via her grocery shopping cart. I found myself pushing Lydia, who was feeding herself a bottle, holding Evelyn's hand, who was pulling a play grocery cart with a basketball in it. The wind was blowing hard and when I waved to the neighbor he did the universal sign for "shiver". "Bad time to go to the park?" I thought to myself. Admittedly, it wasn't the picture of daddy excellence. Closer to the other end of the spectrum. It was in fact, about 5 minutes until bedtime. No awards for daddy greatness or time management would be handed out tonight.
But we hiked across the street and through the grass. Something about the empty playground, Evelyn's hair blowing. The girls looked so beautiful with their red noses. Evelyn built a castle and went down the slide. Lydia clapped.
It was nice to have a quiet moment outside together. Me, and two of the most beautiful girls I've ever seen. It was nice.
Sometimes it's important to have routines so you can break them. We didn't even go right to bed when we got home. I asked Evelyn to dance with me and she obliged. With some rounds of Ring Around the Rosy.
No comments:
Post a Comment