Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Honesty

So you're all finished, I said, pulling the tray away.  Evelyn immediately started bawling.
But you were just throwing the food.  Are you still hungry?
uhuh
If I put the food back you're going to eat it?
uhuh
Are you going to throw the food again?
(pause) ...uhuh

That's our girl, always telling the truth.  
Lydia learning from her big sister.  Thank you for the important lessons Evelyn.

It was our first day alone together, the three of us and Barley.  I was glad integrity was being showcased.  Not a bad start for dad.

After all the day had gotten off to a shall we say, unpromising beginning.  Dad had been thinking so hard the night before during his fantasy football draft that his head was absolutely pounding.  We felt it was important to slow things down, more than usual.  But it turned out sluggishness led us to the best part of the day.  Lydia and I camped out by the playset and spent the entire morning watching Evelyn go up and down and all around that thing.
Lydia's patience and mellowness were a fine pairing with our blanket and shade.
Evelyn even joined us for little moments here and there.

But overall she preferred moving about.  
Sending her rock, 
or Lamby, or binkie, or shoes, or her hair bow, anything really, down the slide.
Taking an interest in Barley's endeavors.
Being a little explorer.


After lunch it was time for a nap.  Lydia was fed and sleeping peacefully, Evelyn went down happily.  I started cleaning the kitchen - after all we'd need a tidy spot to put the "Integrity-Teaching-Rock-Star Dad" trophy.

I was feeling great, everything was perfect and easy.  Heard the strangest noise from upstairs, could it be Evelyn?  Yes, turns out she's awake, in the hall, happy as a clam, not in bed, and she wants to show me something.

Hi daddy.

Look who knows how to put it on just like mommy.

Oh.  ...Wow.

And we cleaned our clown up.

You'd be surprised to hear that Evelyn didn't want to go back to naptime after that.  We read a few stories, I pretended to be asleep in her bed, nothing seemed to work.  So I just asked her, straight up.
Can you just try to nap?  Give it a try for daddy please?
And she did.

Two minutes later I saw her downstairs, huge smile on her face.
Oh hi Evelyn!  Did you take a nap?
uhuh.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...