Saturday, August 7, 2010

Fried Sauerkraut Balls

Tonight Heidi and I took Evelyn to her first State Fair ever. It's worth repeating: Evelyn went to her FIRST STATE FAIR EVER today. Could this be the best blog entry we ever do? Very likely.

"why?" you ask?

That's a silly question. I have three words for you:
1. Battered.
2. Fried.
3. On A Stick.

Have you ever wondered what anything tasted like battered, fried, and put on a stick? Well my friend, go to the Indiana State Fair and wonder no longer. I couldn't make this up:


Oh the Glory! Oh the Horror! It's a car accident you can't turn away from!

"Battered Dipped, Deep Fried Twinkies? That is absolutely the most disgusting thing I have ever heard of in my life. We must have one."

I saw a mom arranging her family, "now kids everyone get in line for a fried twinkie." They, the kids, were all skinny. Bouncy little beanpoles. I'm telling you though, this fair just might make all those kids fail gym class this year.

Our first stop, as always, was for a Chicken On A Stick.

Heidi looks so young, so beautiful, so fit holding this plate of fried potato skins covered in vinegar and salt. They were delicious.

Then, per State Fair rules and regulations, we went to see the cows. For a moment I wondered what could be wrong with us that we would pay money, sit in traffic with Rascal Flatts fans, then push our way through crowds, to see some cows. That was quickly put out of my head though when I saw the joyous cow! Ah they are so .... hungry! so immobile! so ... uddery! the beautiful cow! On second thought I say we would have traveled over the highest mountains to see these majestic creatures! Evelyn! Look! The glorious cow!

She loves it she totally has that cowgirl gene.
She gets it from her great great
great Grandfather....'s milkman, who used to milk cows.

What does the cow say? Evelyn goes "pshhspppphhh". No that's not it darling.

"Now remember Lil Lass, sometimes you get, and sometimes you get got."

We had worked up quite an appetite looking at cows and talking like cowboys. This isn't a good picture but I'm not making this up. Heidi goes "I want a Funnel Cake". Standing in the very spot I take the following picture from, I say "you can get one here." She goes, "where?". And looks, then looks at me, and I say "right here." She doesn't see the sign and is truly looking for it when I snap this picture.

So while we were waiting for Mommy to get her Fresh & Delicious Funnel Cake we sat in the glow of the corn dogs sign.

And Evelyn she just glows in the glow of the corn dogs sign.




After we ate some Fresh & Delicious Funnel Cake it was time to go home. First we had to try and get a family photo. Which was much harder than it sounds:




I was ready to go after that guy in the yellow shirt for sucking all the flash out of the picture. But alls well that ends well it was a wonderful time! We love you Indiana State Fair and look forward to many many happy returns!

Oh and you thought I was joking didn't you? I wasn't:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

THAT WAS THE BEST BLOG, YET, FOR SURE!!!!! Keep them coming - I love reading them! Love you guys so much!

Aunt Jan

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...